Job Title: Electrical and Switchboard Designer – LV Power, Protection and Control Systems
Reference Number: PT-SJ-PT 19-0106.3
Location: Nunawading, VIC 3131
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Start Date: 15/09/2019
Employment: Full Time
Why work for PowerTec?
Do you want to be part of the solution for the electricity network transformation?
PowerTec works closely with utilities and industry to realise distributed, networked intelligent control systems and turn-key battery energy storage systems for electricity networks with Distributed Energy Resources (DER). Our technology is a key enabler for Microgrids, Embedded Networks, Electric Vehicle Charging Stations and renewable generators by supporting them to operate on constrained electricity networks and to dynamically access electricity markets.
We are a technology scale-up business: Our PowerCache® (inverter/battery energy storage system) and PaDECS® (Parallel Distributed Energy Resources Control System) offer effective solutions to the challenges of the rapidly evolving electricity network, and to leveraging DER for energy market services. This combination of technologies puts us in a unique market position, and we have entered a path of exponential growth.
Do you prefer providing comprehensive solutions rather than working in silos?
Our multi-disciplinary team carries out system development and turn-key project delivery services from feasibility studies through to software development, product design, 3rd party component integration, technology components import, assembly and commissioning.
PowerTec has delivered some of the most relevant Australian Microgrid and Energy Storage reference projects and has won the 2017 Clean Energy Industry Innovation Award for developing the Mini Grid Stabiliser at Mooroolbark, VIC.
Are you more passionate about delivering solutions than delivering reports?
We are a young, small, fast-growing team working with our sophisticated B2B customers and a multitude of stakeholders to lead exciting developments in the evolving field of distributed energy, battery energy storage, and Internet of Things (IoT).
We apply a flexible and collaborative approach to working with and learning from our customers, suppliers, service providers and each other, and we offer some of the best personal growth and learning opportunities in the market.
An exciting new opportunity exists for an Electrical and Switchboard Designer – LV Power, Protection and Control Systems to join our team.
The candidate will have:
- A tertiary degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or Power Systems Engineering
- Proven, relevant professional design experience in at least 6 of the following fields:
- Electrical Power Systems Design (Must be both, primary and secondary systems)
- Electrical LV Power Distribution Hardware Design
- Protection systems, including use of multi-function electronic protection relays
- System design with functional interfaces to field, control, monitoring and communications systems
- Electrical kiosk, cabinet, switchboard and auxiliary mechanical and safety systems design (cooling systems, fire suppression systems)
- Working in a similar role within the energy/electrical utility or industry sector (Australia preferred) o DC power systems and power conversion systems (PCS)
- A pragmatic, delivery-oriented approach with a strong ability to problem solve multidisciplinary project issues independently
- An ability to work to challenging deadlines
- An ability to work with a team and supply partners in a small, scale-up company with little support functions
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- An affinity to the renewable energy, energy storage or distributed energy sector
- A courteous and professional nature
- A long-term perspective to work with PowerTec, and to work in a Melbourne eastern suburbs office
- An Australian residency, or suitable valid visa to work in Australia for at least 2 years
By the end of this financial year, you will have:
- Developed a firm understanding of PowerTec’s solutions through peer-to-peer coaching and learning on the job
- Successfully and timely carried out or managed the delivery of all aspects related to electrical power, protection, switching control, alarming and auxiliary design, component and cabinet supply coordination, factory testing, and hardware & system documentation of:
- Several Battery Energy Storage Systems for Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations
- Several community Battery Energy Storage and Microgrid control systems
- Developed a well written documentation of the delivered system hardware
- Created an electrical and auxiliary systems design standard for PowerTec’s PowerCache® product
- Standardised protection settings for LV 3-phase utility grid connected distributed power assets together with our field and service engineer
- Developed a standardised scope of supply with key component suppliers
- Contributed to several power system models in aspects such as short-circuit rating
- Travelled to sites, including at remote sites for assessment of the designed systems
To apply for this opportunity, please send your cover letter, CV, references, education certificates and transcripts to email@example.com, quoting reference PT-SJ-PT 19-0106.