Job Title: Power Conversion Systems & Protection – Service & Commissioning Engineer
Reference Number: PT-SJ-PT 19-0109
Location: Nunawading, VIC 3131
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Start Date: 15/09/2019
Employment: Full Time
Why work for PowerTec?
Do you want to be part of the solution for the electricity network transformation?
PowerTec works closely with utilities and industry to realise distributed, networked intelligent control systems and turn-key battery energy storage systems for electricity networks with Distributed Energy Resources (DER). Our technology is a key enabler for Microgrids, Embedded Networks, Electric Vehicle Charging Stations and renewable generators by supporting them to operate on constrained electricity networks and to dynamically access electricity markets.
We are a technology scale-up business: Our PowerCache® (inverter/battery energy storage system) and PaDECS® (Parallel Distributed Energy Resources Control System) offer effective solutions to the challenges of the rapidly evolving electricity network, and to leveraging DER for energy market services. This combination of technologies puts us in a unique market position, and we have entered a path of exponential growth.
Do you prefer providing comprehensive solutions rather than working in silos?
Our multi-disciplinary team carries out system development and turn-key project delivery services from feasibility studies through to software development, product design, 3rd party component integration, technology components import, assembly and commissioning.
PowerTec has delivered some of the most relevant Australian Microgrid and Energy Storage reference projects and has won the 2017 Clean Energy Industry Innovation Award for developing the Mini Grid Stabiliser at Mooroolbark, VIC.
Are you more passionate about delivering solutions than delivering reports?
We are a young, small, fast-growing team working with our sophisticated B2B customers and a multitude of stakeholders to lead exciting developments in the evolving field of distributed energy, battery energy storage, and Internet of Things (IoT).
We apply a flexible and collaborative approach to working with and learning from our customers, suppliers, service providers and each other, and we offer some of the best personal growth and learning opportunities in the market.
An exciting new opportunity exists for a Power Conversion Systems & Protection – Service & Commissioning Engineer to join the team.
The candidate will have:
- A university degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems Engineering or a related engineering science
- Relevant professional commissioning or service experience in the following areas:
- Electrical Power Systems (Primary/Secondary)
- Electrical LV Power Distribution Hardware
- Inverters / drives (3-phase) or generators
- Protection, multi-function protection relays incl. configuration and programming
- Interfaces to field, control, monitoring and communications systems
- Electrical cabinet, switchboard and auxiliary mechanical and safety systems
- Working in a similar role within the Energy/Electrical Utility, renewables or power generation sector (Australia preferred)
- DC (solar or battery) systems would be a plus
- A pragmatic, delivery-oriented approach with a strong ability to problem solve project issues independently
- Strong inter-personal skills and an ability to work to challenging deadlines with a team and supply partners in a small, scale-up company
- Confidence in dealing with customers
- Outstanding professional conduct and verbal & written communication skills
- An Australian residency, or suitable valid visa to work in Australia for at least 2 years
By the end of this financial year, you will have:
- Developed a firm understanding of PowerTec’s solutions through peer-to-peer coaching by the team and learning on the job
- Successfully and timely:
- supervised the installation and
- carried out the factory testing and
- carried out the component and system commissioning of all aspects related to the
- primary and secondary power electrical equipment,
- field device controls (3-phase inverters, utility-scale battery management systems, communication systems) and
- – auxiliary equipment & cabinets of:
- Several Battery Energy Storage Systems for Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations
- Several community Battery Energy Storage and Microgrid control systems
- Delivered factory test and site acceptance test reports for the deployed systems
- Configured, tested and optimised protection settings for LV 3-phase utility grid connected distributed power assets
- Configured, tested and optimised inverter /drive settings
- Travelled to 5-10 sites, including to remote sites, for installation supervision and commissioning (2-3 weeks per system)
- Provided feedback to continuously improve the electrical and auxiliary systems design standard for PowerTec’s PowerCache® product
To apply for this opportunity, please send your cover letter, CV, references, education certificates and transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting reference PT-SJ-PT 19-0109.